Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Sandwich's Cousin, the Wrap

Back to lunch.  This morning I felt I needed something a bit more hearty than a container full of green things.  Sometimes meat's gotta take the starring role. 

Let's make the Italian Mexican Wrap.

Here's what I'm working with.


The only thing not so great about this combination is the sodium content.  1492mg.  The Adequate Intake for individuals age 9 to 50 is 1500mg/day.  I just met that quota in one sitting.  Since I'm a healthy person who gets plenty of exercise and eats right most the time it's OK to go crazy on the sodium every so often.  But for those with hypertension, diabetes, or heart disease, tread lightly.

I start off with some minced garlic and chopped onion sauteed in sesame oil


Let the garlic brown a little before adding the sausage.

Next up, cook the Italian Sausage per package directions.  In this case I'm using the skillet method by browning the sausage first for about 5 minutes.


While all this is going on prepare the wrap.  I use muenster cheese, spicy brown mustard, bread and butter sandwich pickle, 1/4 cup kidney beans, one slice of beet.
 
I suggest using a 100% whole wheat tortilla.  More fiber.
 
 
 
After the sausage has browned for 5 minutes remove the garlic and onions to the wrap.  Add 1/4 cup to the skillet and continue cooking the sausage on med low heat covered until done.  If you have a thermometer use it the internal temp should be > 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
 
I like to dab off excess fat after cooking.
 
And there you have it.  The wrap is just as portable as the sandwich.  For this one I work at a place that has refrigeration so I'm covered food safety wise.  I suggest to let this be at room temp for no more than two hours after prep.
 

 
The lifestyle I lead lets me enjoy the freedom of not having to worry so much about what I eat.  I feel better when I eat consciously and somewhat healthy with more plant based ingredients than animal sure.  But, I like the feeling that I won't have to pay later on down the road for not exercising and eating right.
 
What steps do you take in your daily routine to feel confident in your food choices?
 
You've got to get up every morning with determination if you're going to go to bed with satisfaction.

George Lorimer, journalist
 



No comments:

Post a Comment